We live in small ward. So small, that the inactivity of any family makes a difference for the worse. As a Primary Presidency we've been trying to visit Primary children and their families in conjunction with the Relief Society and Priesthood visiting the families too. I have been enjoying getting to know more people. It's such a different ward than any we've been in before. I have never had to work so hard in a ward before this one. I don't think I've even really loved a ward quite as much as this one.
A few nights ago my knees were aching. Usually this is just arthritis. I think this particular night it may have been a combination of arthritis and over use on the joints. My right knee hurt not only around the kneecap, but below my kneecap, at the top of the tibia/fibia. It made me think of the day I had knee surgery. Rather than try and call people from our then ward, I had CJ drive me to the base. All the male dentists at the time were active, priesthood holding gentlemen. I asked if any of them would help CJ bless me. Bless their hearts! The only one who didn't come in was drilling on teeth and couldn't get up for a bit. I didn't think much of my choice then; when I think back I realize that I just didn't know my home ward there very well. There was a couple neighbors who went to church with us. I think we saw our home teachers maybe 6x in 4yrs. In our now ward, I know there are so many people who would drop what they are doing and welcome the opportunity to help CJ should he need another set of hands for giving a blessing. I wouldn't hesitate to call any number of people. It is wonderful to know there are so many helping, willing people out there. I'm sure there were many in our then ward too. I just didn't know about it. Neither they nor I put ourselves out much and let people know we were available.
I've been going with a member of the presidency or a teacher to put ourselves out there and visit not only the inactive families in our ward, but active families too. It's keeps me busy. I am gone only 2 nights a week for church related stuff. It's amazing what those two extra nights away mean. Between church and kids activities, I'm gone 4 nights out of 7. CJ has really had to step up his game and he's done brilliantly. This doesn't include visiting teaching or home teaching, dental meetings or book club. Lots of extra work for all!
I know I've been blessed. One of the most apparent blessings I noticed right away is my ability to remember kids names. I will forget the parents names almost as soon as I hear them; I remember the kids names. I'm really grateful for this. I usually have to write note after note after note to remember items, names, dates, etc. I love this church and this ward. I will so miss these good people when we eventually move again. This is the first time I have come away from a ward with more than just one or two good friends. I am so thankful that I will have an opportunity to see them again whether here or there, it doesn't matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
:-) A good ward means everything...
You sound super busy. Being the president would be a lot of work. I hope your knee will feel better. I am not looking forward to the day you guys move away, unless it is closer to Idaho Falls, haha. I am glad you have such a nice ward. It sounds to me like you are making it even nicer with all your visits. You are making a difference!
Post a Comment