I had a breakfast with a couple of girlfriends and have been reflecting on the good fortune I've had to make a couple really good friends where ever we've lived. The kind of friends that even if I don't get to see in person for the rest of my life, I'll look forward to seeing in the afterlife.
Which got me thinking about what would have happened if I hadn't had the experiences I've had. I've definitely had some memorable experiences everywhere we've lived.
Not all have been good. Not by a long shot.
Not all have been bad. Not by an even longer shot.
Memorable.
For one thing, we've had a child in every state we've lived in. Those are good experiences. The great people I've met--another good experience.
Memorable.
The horrid landlord in Logan. Lead poisoning fears I've kept with me since living there. My dismal school failure in Connecticut.
BAD.
Memorable.
But, I've learned from the good and the bad. After 8 pregnancies and 5 kids, I'm learning to be more grateful for my children and for timing other than my own. I'm humbled by people I've met in every state. There are so many people struggling out there that I have trouble remember everyone when I pray and am left feeling like there are more but I just can't remember.
After bad landlords and lead poisoning fears and failures at school, I hope I've learned when to quit, when to step up to the plate, and when to speak up.
Mostly, though, I'm just really thankful to be where I am, when I am and with whom I am with. It's nice to know I'm supposed to be with such a great group of people right now.
1 comment:
a sweet insightful post
Post a Comment